Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Power of 'I AM'


Two very simple words, but the power that they wield in never ending.  Everyday, usually without even thinking, we say things like, I am an idiot, I am not feeling well, I am so tired, I am fat, I am not pretty enough, I am not good enough, I am always late, I am a bitch.  A lot of times we say these things jokingly, but our subconscious doesn't know the difference between joking or truth.  It just takes it as that's the way it is.  It is a known fact that the more you say something, especially out loud, the deeper it sinks into the subconscious mind.  So if we are always putting ourselves down in this way, it's no wonder why we feel the way we do sometimes.  Eventually, we start believing those words that maybe started as a joke and now they have become our reality.  The more we say it, the more we think it, the more we think that other people see us that way, the more it becomes our truth! It's a nasty merry-go-round!  We get really good at putting on a confident face when we are out in public, but in those quiet moments at home, when we can take that public mask off, that is usually when a lot of these thoughts make an appearance, as your guard is down. We mull over the day, revisiting events that occurred, and start the process of our mental/emotional beatings. Now granted this doesn't (I hope) happen on a daily basis, but we know that in any given week, we've had those moments.

I had a friend tell me about this exercise that is quite good.  Write down all the characteristics that you would like to be perceived as. Things like: courageous, intelligent, gorgeous, athletic, adventurous, an entrepreneur.  Once you have compiled  your list, now re-write it by placing the words 'I AM' in front of each characteristic. Now the first time you look at that list, you may think 'yeah right'. This is where the work comes in.  Place copies of that list in certain places of your home so that you will see it often. On the fridge door, on the bathroom mirror, on the inside of the front door, by your bed. Every time that you look at it, read off your list OUT LOUD and say them with conviction! The more you say them, the more you feel them, the deeper it sinks, the more you believe them, the more people see us that way, the more they become your reality!

These two simple words are the most powerful in the English language.  So let's use them to build ourselves up instead of tearing ourselves down. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment