Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Respect Yourself!!!

In December I went to a seminar series that promised that I would learn a lot about myself.........well that was an understatement!! I went into that seminar with the intention of learning how to have better relationships with the people in my life.  Throughout the course of that weekend I came to a realization that the one person that I should have the BEST relationship with, in actuality I had the WORST!  That person was ME!

Now I have had people ask me, how am I suppose to have a relationship with myself?  Well, to me it has 3 heavily intertwined components.

1. Your Word:  I don't know about you, but I am the kind of person that when I give my word to someone, I keep it, as I would never want to let anyone down.  But when it comes to me,  when I say I am going to do something for myself, when I don't do it I use the excuse, "oh well, it didn't really matter" or "I'll get to that tomorrow". WHAT? REALLY?  Why would I let myself down, when I wouldn't even think of doing that to another person?  This one is harder than it may look, especially for a master procrastinator like myself.  It's a product of not having ourselves anywhere on our priority list. When you say that you are going to do something for yourself.............DO IT!!!

2. Integrity: Living a life of Integrity is not easy, as I find it comes with an emotional component.  We all have our own personal belief systems or moral codes.  When we go against that, we are not living a life of integrity. We all know when we are doing something that just doesn't feel right, we get that gut feeling or that little voice in our head trying to warn us.  More times that not, we ignore that. We do that, in my opinion, to avoid being judged by other people, we don't want to look stupid, "what will people think if I don't go along with this"...........it can be peer pressure. As adults, we are not immune to this. This one, I find, can come at a cost.  A few months ago, I had to make a decision that ended up costing me a friendship that meant a LOT of me.  Since then, there has been many times of second guessing myself, wanting to reverse that decision, but I know if I hadn't of stood up for what I believed in, it eventually would have eroded that relationship anyways, as it would have always been a wedge between us.  It tore my heart out to make that decision, but I knew I couldn't live a life of integrity otherwise. Listen to your gut/inner voice.........it is there for a reason!!

3. Respect: As children we are taught to respect our elders, respect the environment, respect other peoples property.  We are told to have self respect, but no one really says what that actually means or how to do it.  It's like we are just suppose to know.  Well, we DON'T! So, how do we do it?  If you do the first two thing that I have already mentioned, you are respecting yourself.  It can also be in doing the little things that you don't really think about that make you feel good.  For me, it's keeping my home clean and tidy, as clutter stresses me out.  It's making sure I wash my makeup off each and every night before bed, and lately, I have chosen to treat my body way better by changing over most of the things that I put into or on my body to organic.  I am making the change slowly, but eventually it will be the majority.  In my opinion, the massive increase of disease, mental disorders, obesity and children being diagnosed with ADHD all have to do with the massive amount of artificial crap that we are putting in and on our bodies.  Our bodies were not designed to deal with that kind of stuff. Now what ever way you choose to respect yourself, that is your own personal choice, it should NOT be based on what you think other people will think.  It should be something that makes you happy, makes you feel good, and something that means something to you.

Start making the relationship with yourself a priority and I believe that all your other relationships will benefit!

So, my question for you this weekend..........what are you going to do to show yourself some RESPECT??


No comments:

Post a Comment